Sunday, June 12, 2011

Oriental Coleslaw

Whenever I make this Oriental coleslaw recipe I think of my brother Steve Prather and his wife, Chris. They made it many years ago for a family event and I still remember Steve raving about it that day, calling it his absolute favorite salad! The rest of us liked it, too, and I now count it among my favorites, as well. It’s a recipe that has been around for a while and, of course, there are several versions: A cousin of mine makes one that calls for sautéing the ramen noodles, sesame seeds and almonds together and heating the dressing, which includes soy sauce, before mixing with napa cabbage and green onions.

It’s especially fun for me to share Steve’s recipe with you this morning as he turns another day older today. Happy Birthday, Stephen! CJK


Oriental Coleslaw
(Steve Prather)

Salad
1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds
3 tbsp. sesame seeds
14 oz. pkg. classic coleslaw mix
3 oz. pkg. chicken-flavored ramen noodle soup, divided
4 green onions, chopped

Dressing
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tbsp. cider vinegar
3 tbsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Flavor packet from soup mix


Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread almonds and sesame seeds in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet and toast in preheated oven for 5 to 10 minutes until nuts and seeds are golden brown. (Watch carefully and stir every two to three minutes.)

Place coleslaw mix in large bowl. Break ramen noodles into pieces and add along with green onions, nuts and seeds to cabbage mixture.

Mix dressing and combine with salad ingredients immediately before serving.

Yield: 10 servings

A note from Steve: I never considered myself a coleslaw person until I met this salad. Now, I can’t get enough of it! It’s easy to make, which is a good thing since neither my wife nor I really like to cook. I love the smell of those roasted almonds coming out of the oven. Adding grilled chicken breast turns the salad into a delicious summertime main dish. 

A note from Carol: The almonds and sesame seeds can also be toasted in a skillet. (Heat a dry skillet over medium-high heat and add the nuts. Stir them frequently while toasting.)

When I make this recipe I go easy when adding the dressing — I normally don’t use the entire amount for one salad. Since I often make it for just my husband and myself I only dress the amount that we’ll eat in one meal. I’ve found that both the salad and dressing can be kept separately for several days.


No comments:

Post a Comment