Sunday, September 18, 2011

Creamy Cucumbers

Julie Tschida created this recipe for creamy cucumbers more than 25 years ago. If you saw yesterday’s FFF entry, you already know she’s a gardener extraordinaire.

“Gardening is my solitude,” she said. “I love to watch the plants grow and produce their fruits and flowers. That in turn brings birds and butterflies. Spending time gardening connects me with nature and the beauty and bounty that is God’s gift to us.” CJK




Creamy Cucumbers
(Julie Tschida)


8 medium-sized cucumbers, peeled and sliced
1 medium-sized onion, chopped or sliced
3 tomatoes, diced
1 tbsp. salt

Dressing
1/2 cup salad dressing*
1/2 cup plain yogurt*
1 tbsp. vinegar
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. prepared yellow mustard
1-2 tbsp. sugar, to taste
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. Johnny’s Salad and Pasta Elegance, optional*

Toss cucumbers, onion, tomatoes, and salt together. Let sit for 1/2 hour and then drain off liquid.

Mix dressing ingredients together and add to cucumber mixture one hour before serving.

Yield: 16 to 20 servings


*A note from Julie: I like to use Miracle Whip salad dressing for this recipe. Originally I prepared it with lime yogurt but have since switched to plain yogurt and lime juice. At times I’ve also substituted 1/4 cup sour cream for the yogurt. To give it a little kick, I often add 1 tsp. creamy horseradish sauce.

I discovered the Salad and Pasta Elegance, made by Johnny’s Fine Foods, while on a family vacation to Alaska in 2002. I haven’t been able to find it locally for several years but I like the flavor it adds to dishes so I order it online whenever I run out.

A note from Carol: Julie’s recipe for Fresh Tomato Salsa appeared on FFF yesterday. It’s one you don’t want to miss. Not only is she quite the gardener, she’s truly also a genius in the kitchen!

Julie took these pictures — a Yellow Swallowtail butterfly on a zinnia (top) and a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird approaching a Blackberry lily (below) — in her flower garden this year.










No comments:

Post a Comment