Sunday, December 12, 2010

Fudge

Twelve Days of Candy-Making — Day 2
Create memories your families and friends will savor for years to come

Fudge
(Jean Zwilling)


Photo by Sue Schulzetenberg
5 cups sugar
12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 lb. miniature marshmallows
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
8 oz. Baker’s® German chocolate bars, chopped         
¼ cup butter
1 lb walnuts, chopped (optional)

Generously butter a 9 x 13 x 2 inches pan.

Bring the sugar and evaporated milk to a boil and continue boiling for five minutes. Fold the marshmallows, both chocolates and butter into the first mixture and stir until all ingredients are dissolved. Add most of the nuts, if using, reserving larger pieces to decorate the tops of the fudge. Pour into the prepared pan to cool and harden. Cut into squares when fully cooled.

“I obtained this recipe shortly after my husband, Virgil, and I were married,” Jean recalls. “I was working as a nurse at the St. Cloud Hospital and caring for my sister’s mother-in-law, Charlotte Hockert, from Albany. Her sisters-in-law, Benedictine Sisters Nicholas and Harvette Hockert, originally from Freeport, came to visit and brought her some fudge. Charlotte offered me a piece. It was so good that I asked for the recipe and I have been making it every Christmas since. The original recipe called for ‘butter the size of an egg’ so I know it has been around for a long time.”








No comments:

Post a Comment