Sunday, March 11, 2012

Extreme Oven-Fried Fish

Have you been searching for a really simple fish recipe this Lenten season? Would you like it to turn out perfect every time?

Oookaay. Do you have what it takes to preheat your oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit? I’ll admit it — the first time I tried it I was skeptical about the extremely high temperature.

But, trust me on this one… You’ll soon get over your fear of what seems to be exceptionally high heat for little pieces of fish because they will turn out “just right” if you follow the directions. I’ve always set a timer and checked the fish after 10 minutes. (The fillets I’ve prepared have usually been thin and 10 minutes has been long enough.) The fish has flaked beautifully with a fork and it has been truly delicious! CJK



Extreme Oven-Fried Fish
(Adapted from a Betty Crocker Cookbook)


1 lb. fish fillets or steaks
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 tbsp. butter, melted

Preheat oven to 500°F. Spray a 13x9x2-inch pan with no-stick cooking spray.

If fish fillets are large, cut into 5 or 6 serving pieces. Stir salt into milk in a shallow dish. Pour breadcrumbs into another shallow dish.

Dip fish into milk, then coat with breadcrumbs. Place in prepared baking dish. Pour melted butter over fish. Place pan on oven rack that is slightly above the middle of the oven. Cook uncovered in 500°F oven between 10 to 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.


Yield: 5 to 6 servings


A note from Carol: Once when I didn’t have any prepared breadcrumbs on hand, I crushed a handful of “cheesy snack mix” with my rolling pin. It added a nice flavor dimension. You could also substitute crushed (unsweetened) cereals like cornflakes, crackers of any kind or stuffing mix.








No comments:

Post a Comment